Saturday, January 28, 2017

Winter Time Blues ?

I understand what Mom means by the"Winter Time Blues".  We have been having VERY cold and windy days lately.  Mom won't take us out for our daily walk/bike ride unless it is at least 20 degrees so we have been spending more of our days inside and there is just so much you can do to pass the time.   I work with Mom on commands but that is kind of getting old. I have been trying to work with Avalon but she says she doesn't have to do them anymore so refuses to play along.  Mom did take me along on a few errands but I must admit I would have rather stayed home.  We would get all warmed up in the car then out in the cold then warm up inside at the store only to go back outside to get cold again.  I can't wait until it is warmer to go on errands with Mom.  I liked those days.

 
One day it was nicer outside and Miss M came over and out we went.   That day I learned how to walk on water.  It was soooooo cool.  First, Miss M showed me so I would not be frightened then out we went together.  We practiced our commands on the ice.  It was slippery so you had to be careful but it was a lot of fun to be outside and with Miss M.  We were out for a long time so when we came back in it was nice to warm up.  I hope we get to do that again !!

Miss M and I are still going to that wonderful dog training place.  We work on Miss M's presentation with me for the talent show and other commands I need to know to be a Service/Guide Dog.  Miss M and me did a trial run to make sure we have the time down right.  Miss M reads her speech then we go through the commands we are going to use.  I think we have this down but will keep practicing till the show in February.


Another time when we were at school practicing I tried on my new doggie boots.  They put one on my front foot and I walked around then they put another one on and we walked around again. Then they put the last two on my back feet and we walked around.   I heard them kind of laughing at me because they said I looked like a marching soldier.   They did feel weird on my feet but after I coached Miss M to give me treats for marching around I got use to them and we just walked.  I heard Mom say there are some different ones at home so I might be trying some more on ??


I love the weekends when both Mom and Dad are home.  Lots of times we spend our evenings in the kitchen.  Mom is cooking dinner - for them, not us - and Dad will share some peanuts with us.   I have even taught him to throw them in the air so I can catch them.  He thinks it is sooo cool that he  keeps doing it so I keep getting peanuts.  I even make sure sometimes that Avalon is grounded so I am the only one getting them.  She isn't too happy about that  :(   and has made that clear to me by pushing me off.

Avalon and I got to go out on one of the warmer days after some of the ice and snow had melted for a bike ride over to the tennis courts.  We thought however it would be much more fun to run in the mud from the melted snow.  Mom was not too thrilled about it when we got away from her when she was letting us out of the tennis courts.  I think she said some words that I can not repeat. Half of Avalon looked like me - she is a light golden but looked black like me from her legs down.  I am black so you could not see all the mud but my fur sure felt icky.  We both ended up in the bath tub when we got home and again I think Mom said some words I can't repeat. Mostly those words came out when I jumped out of the tub wet and still muddy and tried to shake the mud off.   I did some decorating - brown and black polka-dots on the walls.




Miss M came over a few days later to visit.  It was too cold to be outside so we practiced some of our commands inside while Grandma T and Mom visited.  They were making reservations for us all to go see the movie     "A Dog's Purpose"  This will be my first time at a movie and it is a movie about dogs.   

I received a cool email this week.   The Salvation Army posted our story that was in the Papillion Times on their facebook page. It was nice that they thanked us for Bell Ringing but even nicer that they promoted Guide/Service Dogs and posted a link to KSDS Inc.  my future college for service dogs.  

Lynn -
Key is featured on our Facebook page today for our ThanQ Thursday feature.  I tagged KSDS in the post so they see it and linked the article from the Papillion Times and Key's blog.  

https://www.facebook.com/SalArmyWstDivVolunteer/

Ramona D. Arthur
Divisional Director of Volunteer Services
The Salvation Army Western Division


Next week is going to be a busy one.  First the Movie - Second another practice session - Third a practice run for the talent show at school and last the talent show itself.   Dad is getting all exited about something called the Super Bowl at the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment